TBFM

TBFM
Click on the pic for the best in rock and metal radio!

Sunday 26 August 2012

Unsigned Artist Q&A - Stuart Newman

This is a new feature that will look at asking our favourite unsigned artists, interesting and probing questions, to get to know them a bit better. There are the normal run of the mill questions, but on the whole I wanted to steer clear of them and ask more 'interesting' questions.


The first artist to feature in the BritRockArmy Q&A is Brighton based, mostly self taught musician and songwriter, Stuart Newman. During and before his Uni years he experimented with home production techniques and his own songwriting, and his music grew from there.

(We're Living In) Another Dimension by Stuart Newman by stuarttnewman

Stuarts Q&A goes a little something like this :-
 
What musical genre would you say you fit into best?
Well, my recent work can probably be called ‘Mellow-Rock’… my early work is more acoustic… but Mellow-Rock would be a quick description.

Who are your musical influences?
The Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel…60s… and more Rock/Pop-punk and the alternative areas… a lot of musical influences and it would take me a long time to discuss my thoughts on this. My listening habits are probably a little ‘angrier’ than the music I’ve created to date.

If you could collaborate with anyone, past or present, who would it be?
My standard answer to this is: I have a few ideas but don’t want to voice them as that may mean they become less likely to happen. That said, I’m focusing on what I do and what I bring to the world of music. Collaborations can happen when and if they do, but for now, I’m concentrating on establishing what I do.

Would you rather play arena gigs, or smaller intimate gigs?
I’m a songwriter and recording artist only at the moment. I tend to like to experiencing music through my headphones and I write with this in mind a lot of the time… Reaching people through headphones is quite an intimate thing, so I guess I lean towards that side of things. The craft of writing a song is what it’s about for me at the moment – writing music that expresses and explains ideas is something to aim for.

Where do you see the yourself in 5 years time?
Bigger, better, known.

Signed or independent
Everything depends. Whatever leads to more life and creative ambitions being realised.

If you could cover any song, what would it be and why?
I tend to step away from ‘covers’. People seem to be using them more and more as a means to ‘getting noticed’. Covers can be great – writing and performing and delivering a great song out of nothing, tends to be better. So I’ll try and do that thanks.

What song would you like played at your funeral?
Let me live a little more life and I’ll get back to you. Maybe others can decide that.

What song would you have as your first dance at your wedding?
I’m too drunk to dance, maybe later.. ?

Thanks to Stuart for taking the time out to answer these questions, looking forward to hearing what the future brings/
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...